Research Article

THE DETECTION OF METALLO BETA LACTAMASE PRODUCING PSEUDOMONAS AERUGINOSA IN A TERTIARY CARE HOSPITAL

DR. B. V. RAMANA, K. RAJASEKHAR, DR. A. CHAUDHURY


Abstract:

Aim: The present study was undertaken to To detect presence of metallo beta lactamase producing pseudomonas aeruginosa in clinical isolates in our hospital. Methods: 50 non-repetitive clinical isolates consecutively isolated during the period of 6 months from August 2016 to February 2017 were included in the study. Various samples collected like urine, pus, blood, catheter tips, and body fluids. All isolates with gram negative bacilli, catalase and oxidase positive, polymyxin B sensitivity were included in this study. MBL detection was done by Imipenem-EDTA combined disk method (CDT). Results: Among 50 imipenem resistance psuedomonas aeruginosa isolates tested for metalobetalactamases 18 (36%) isolates were shown positive results and remaining 32 (64%) isolates were shown negative results. Conclusion: To conclude there are 36% of metallo beta-lactamase producing Pseudomonas aeruginosa prevalent in our area. Therefore, detection of these MBL producing P. aeruginosa is crucial for optimal treatment of critically ill patients and to prevent the spread of resistance.

Keyword:

Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Metallo beta lactamase, Imipenem-EDTA combined disk method